2007-11-07

Sewing, Thrifting and Mangoes

I'm in a good mood today. For what reason? Well, I wrote a biomedicine exam yesterday that I have a good feeling about. And when I came home today this was waiting for me inside the door:

It's a brown silk dress from Iro. A late little birthday present from myself. I don't think I've ever owned something this luxurious before...

Completely unrelated, I've been looking through my sewing basket to see what half finished forgotten challenges I may find there. This is one of the things I dug up, a green jacket that I started sewing more than a year ago.

(It's in desperate need of some good ironing, I know)

I never finished it because I didn't have any lining. I still don't, but I mean to get some so I can finish it before spring, I could use a new spring jacket. What I like most about this jacket, except for the lovely green color, is that it's made from an old curtain panel from several decades ago. Yay for recycling! Also, I love the mix of something really simple and cheap, such as old 70's curtains, and something quite exclusive and technically complicated, such as a tailored peacoat. I'm probably going to change the buttons, though, I don't like how it turned out with these wooden ones.

I've also done some thrift store shopping. It's something I like to treat myself to after an exam. I walk from University half way home and stop along all the good thrift stores on the way. This blouse is one of the things I found. I love the floral pattern! I'm just going to make some shaping darts on it and probably switch buttons, and then it'll be ready wear!




They were selling mangoes cheap at the supermarket last week. I like mangoes so I bought a bunch. Then I got home and realised I had 7 mangoes that I had to eat before they went bad. So I had a look around my recipes and decided to turn the majority of the fruits into Mango Coconut Vice Cream.

Mangoes, Datepuré and Coconut Milk

In the Blender - Looking Good!


The finished vice cream didn't look very appetizing, it reminded me of peasoup, which is something I've dreaded since I was a child. I think some fresh fruit for garnish would help a lot. The flavour was just fine, although it probably would have been wonderful if my mangoes had been a bit more ripe. Still it was good, and healthy too I'd like to think. At least it's an excellent way to consume 5 mangoes in one evening!


And before I end, I ate the strawberry and it was delicious!

Inga kommentarer: